Saturday, March 05, 2005

Diet to go

It has been one heck of a month from all angles-- home life, work and weather! We experienced a lot of below freezing temperature, snow, ice, frost and high winds. Then there's this whole business with hospitals.
When we were visiting my father in law in hospital, we needed to apply this anti bacterial gel on our hands before and after leaving the ward. It is protection against the dreaded MRSA (a drug resistant bacteria that can cause death). Being the obsessive person that I am, I bought a similar product to keep in my handbag so I can use it at work. It's great! When you first apply it on your hands, it is just like an ordinary gel but it instantly goes into a liquid state and after a few seconds of rubbing your hands together it evaporates like alcohol. It is meant to kill 99.9% of germs. Wahing your hands is the best way to keep viruses and germs at bay, especially the cold and flu viruses and stomach bacteria.
All my life I've been pretty laid back about my diet. I basically ate anything I wanted. However, since December I've been testing the GI (Glycaemic index) diet, which makes you cut down on sugars and salt. I've even drastically cut back on my caffeine intake--that's a tough one as I have always been a coffee drinker. I cook a lot of steamed vegetables (instead of baked or fried), lots of fish and healthy foods. I lost half a stone (7 pounds) and I am looking at losing another half. Come to think of it, I might just try to lose another 3 pounds. That will just get me under 110 pounds (less than 8 stones).
Sometimes I miss making my favourite bread and butter pudding, a real comfort food but I know I need to keep myself trim.
The downside is I keep on thinking of food! When I get a bad craving for something sweet I eat a banana...sigh!

No comments: