Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Shop till I drop

I am a confessed shopoholic. I do love shopping. In fact it is the best way to cheer me up when I am having a bad time.
My favourite shops are Marks and Spencer www.marksandspencer.com, Debenhams www.debenhams.com and Clarks shoes www.clarks.co.uk . I always manage to get something from those shops especially during the sales. I also like Boots www.boots.co.uk. I sometimes try to analyse why I like this activity so much. I am not too keen on food shopping though. Going to the supermarket is a real chore as far as I am concerned and I avoid it like the plague when I am hungry.
Anyway, going back to my past time, shopping fills my brain with endorphins. It gives me a kick. Well that’s my theory and I am sticking to it. Maybe it is better than comfort eating. I do work up an appetite after a brisk walk up and down the High Street!
When I was young and totally broke I used to window shop a lot just to keep me abreast of what’s out there. It also provided entertainment for me and my friends as there were no iPods, Xboxes, mobile phones or even PCs to keep us amused. I used to imagine myself wearing the clothes and shoes on the mannequin!
Today it still provides me with the same entertainment value. The difference is I can buy the small stuff but I am still restricted with the big price tags! I am not that broke, my dreams just got bigger!
The one downside is I hate going to shops with people who have no clue about the intricacies of shopping. I mean they stand there like lemons or are just too difficult to please—excuse me, what’s the point of this activity? Some people really put me off. Luckily my husband and I share the same interest and he knows how to shop.
I just hope I do not lose my love for shopping. Will I still be the same when I am old and decrepit? It is too painful to contemplate.

No comments: