Saturday, July 29, 2006

Comedy of errors

I took the day off yesterday and Monday so that I could enjoy four days away from work. I thought that was a good idea. I began my break on Thursday afternoon after work. I headed for the shops in Exeter to find some really good bargains. I bought a pair of leather wedges (red) and office shoes (burgundy) from Clarks for less than 25 quid! Then I went to Debenhams and I picked up two fab skirts, one from Principles and the other from Wallis, and two pretty tops. Not bad! I do not shop very often but I do enjoy retail therapy.
I was getting really excited about my four day break and looked forward to it.
I started Friday by washing my car. I haven’t done it for quite sometime because we haven’t had any rain but the bonnet was covered with dead insects and it was rather dusty. I gave the car a really good clean inside out. After that I decided to go to Axminster to see if the shops’ sales. Again I was on the lookout for bargains. I was keen to go that I held off cleaning the house after my shopping expedition. Axminster was a seven minute drive away. I found free parking and even managed to park my car the way I wanted (reversed parking). I enjoyed going in and out of the shops and buying an item here and there. I also managed to do some food shopping at the Co-op. I really couldn’t face Tesco during my holiday. When I go home I discovered I lost my prescription sunglasses. I called the shops but no-one has turned them in. What a bummer! It’s a good thing I have an old pair. I was quite annoyed with myself. I’ll have to book for an eye test and get a new pair. This time I am getting the ones that change colour according to the light. No more messing around!
I was still in a low state of mind when I decided to do the laundry. I thought that would take my mind off my loss but as I was hanging the clothes to dry outside, I noticed that I haven’t closed the side gate properly and the wind blew it open. Earlier I used the hose to water the plants outside. All I could hear was the sound of Sam’s name tag and pendant tinkling against each other. Oh no! He’s ran off!!!! My mind was in total panic. I tried to calm myself. Then I heard the dog next door barking. I quickly got Sam’s lead and harness. I thought I would be able to entice Sam for walkies. I ran outside calling him name in my normal voice. The last thing I wanted was for him to notice my rising panic. I just know he’ll head further away for a bit of a play. I couldn’t see him immediately then I saw a flash of white fluff heading for the bushes. I calmly said, “Come on Sammy, walkies!” over and over again. Luckily Sam found a ball and started playing with it. He then came up to me and I quickly grabbed him. Safely back at home, I washed his new yellow ball and went back to my chores.
The rest of the afternoon was uneventful…or so I thought. Around 10pm Peter and I decided to sit outside on the bamboo terrace (it was balmy night) but after half an hour I felt I needed to go back in because of hayfever (itchy eyes, runny nose, etc). I quickly took a shower to remove pollen from my skin. After the shower I opened my medicine cabinet which was rather big. It had two big doors and made out of heavy wood. It was hanging above the toilet. I had a collection of small decorative bottles and they were displayed on top of it. As I opened the cabinet I heard a huge sound and the whole structure came off the wall! It happened like slow motion. It hit me squarely on top of my head and I managed to keep the doors closed while keeping it against the wall. The bottles broke and shards of glass were strewn on the carpet. I wasn’t wearing any slippers! I yelled out for Peter who was in the lounge room. Luckily he heard the sound as well and rushed to my aid. I had to quickly warn him about the glass because I knew he loves walking barefoot. Take note, this was almost 11pm—well past my bedtime. Peter took the load away from me and I got the pan and brush to clear out the debris. I vacuumed the carpet and tried cleaning the stain left by the contents of a broken soap bottle. What a day!
It is raining today. We haven’t had decent rain for ages. Of course I just washed my car yesterday! I reckon the fates are against me!

No comments: