Thursday, July 20, 2006

Heatwave!

I’ve been back at work for a week now and my holidays feel like they never happened! Ever since I came back last Thursday, I was thrust into chaos. If problems were opportunities then I am spoilt for choice. Maybe they should just change my job description into two words—problem solver. Yesterday was not just a bad day in terms of stress but it was also the hottest July day since 1911, a whopping 35 degrees Celsius! At least this morning we have cloud cover but it is humid. We are having refurbishments in our building and it looks like a building site and a rubbish tip at the moment. It is noisy, hot and messy. How I am going to survive this summer I will never know.
Last Friday I attended the Graduation Ball as one of the organisers. It was satisfying to see everything come together. It took over six months of organisation for that night alone. There were over 1600 partygoers paying £70 each. It was huge! I left the party close to midnight and arrived near one in the morning. In spite of the exhaustion I was determined to clear up my garden the following day. Peter and I created a private corner at the top of the garden. My father in law christened it as Bamboo Terrace. We surrounded the deck with bamboos and we love it!
Our holiday at the Isles of Scilly was good but not brilliant because we did not really have the right weather. Most days it was cloudy but we had a couple of bright days and we went to Bryher, a neat little island off St Mary’s. It was fun. I missed Sam terribly and my house as well. Peter and I were so happy to get Sam back. He was “barkless” for a couple of days which was quite amusing. Now he’s back to his impish self.
I cannot wait for the weekend. I would like to spend a lot of time at home in my garden tending to my plants. We planted a new wisteria by the front door because the clematis that was there wasn’t performing as good as I wanted. Watering is getting to be a problem because of the water restrictions. We need to invest in drought tolerant plants. Imagine drought in England! That’s global warming for you!

No comments: