Sunday, October 01, 2006

Rain, wind and more rain

It’s been a hell of a weekend—weather wise, courtesy of hurricane Helen. Heavy rains accompanied by gale force winds hampered some of my gardening plans but I still persevered. I couldn’t stand the sight of weeds and fading summer plants. Autumn is truly here. I planted spring bulbs yesterday and I am glad I did because today the winds are stronger and it looks like we’re going to have wall to wall rain. It actually feels like a tropical cyclone to me. I wish we installed more water butts to collect rain water. Well at least we have two filled to the brim. I think I am going to get more spring bulbs like snowdrops, crocuses and daffodils although I have heaps of the latter. I am actually looking forward to early spring without wishing my life away! I am looking at several Christmas brochures already and planning the Christmas dinner.
I have shrugged off the initial “depression” I felt when I came back from Manila. I feel I am back to my cantankerous self again (haha!). I got my appetite back as well, which is very important as far as I am concerned. Also my first foray outside the garden yesterday helped.
I guess I was a bit worried about my new responsibilities at work and since Freshers’ Week went without a major incident, I feel more comfortable now. Tomorrow is the first day of the academic year (autumn term). Soon it will be Christmas--amazing isn't it?
Oooppss the rain is lashing down on my window. It looks wild and woolly outside and Sam is curled up under my workstation. He doesn't like the sound of the wind battering the house. He is such a wooz this dog. I've never encountered such a wimp. He hates loud noises--or any noise for that matter. Gosh looking out my attic window I could see huge trees outside swaying dangerously with the wind. I hope they survive the onslaught. I wonder if the lowlands are going to experience flooding. It looks really dodgy. Peter's working at Plymouth today--an hour and a half trip from Musbury. I worry because the roads are too dangerous for driving in this kind of weather. I feel sorry for the little birds. I wonder where they take shelter? I am making chicken casserole tonight. I have the meat marinating as I speak. Actually it is not strictly a casserole--a cross between chicken in red wine and garlic and chicken asado, a pinoy favourite. I will accompany that with steamed rice, potatoes and fresh greens. I am getting hungry and it's not even lunch yet! This is bed weather as far as I am concerned!

No comments: