Friday, March 31, 2006

I owe I owe so off to work I go

The older I get the harder it is for me to fathom the mind of men in general. Take for instance the other day, Hubby and I had “lively” disagreement sparked by a comment about food. I was carefully preparing stuffed sea bass (coriander, plum tomatoes, garlic, shallots and parsley) for dinner. I accompanied the dish with boiled baby potatoes and purple sprouting broccoli. As I was about to serve the dish he came into the kitchen and looked at my lunch box. Earlier I cooked tortellini in Napolitano sauce for my lunch next day and I was cooling the pasta before I put it in the fridge overnight. He casually remarked if I cooked enough for him as well ignoring the expensive and posh meal he was about to have. Of course this set me off and it ruined a perfectly good dinner(which we ate the following day with gusto!).
He did apologise for upsetting me later so that was okay. I guess men do not really want to see women in tears or upset. They are hardwired to avoid high emotions. Instead they just declare out and out war! Ha ha!
This week was not that all pleasant. I am preparing my budget next year and it is giving me such a headache! I vented my frustrations to one of my sympathetic male colleagues. I shed a few tears--I often do that when I am either very annoyed or angry and I was both in this instance--and he basically told me to hold fire for the time being and be a bit laid back. I knew he felt really sorry for me because he made efforts to cheer me up by helping me achieve one of my IT plans and avoided making sarcastic comments which he was known for. The one good thing about my present job is I have a handful of good colleagues that I can turn to for support. And I sure need it!
I got sent this little "poem" just now and it says it all...

Worker's Lament
IF YOU WORK AND DO YOUR BEST
YOU’LL GET THE SACK LIKE ALL THE REST,
BUT IF YOU LAZE AND BUGGER ABOUT
YOU’LL LIVE TO SEE THE JOB RIGHT OUT
THE WORK IS HARD THE PAY IS SMALL
SO TAKE YOUR TIME AND SOD ’EM ALL
CAUSE WHEN YOUR DEAD YOU’LL BE FORGOT
SO DON’T TRY AND DO THE BLOODY LOT,
OR ON YOUR TOMBSTONE NEATLY LACQUERED
THESE THREE WORDS “JUST BLEEDING KNACKERED!”

No comments: