Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Vice Chancellor's dinner


I had a great time last night at the Vice Chancellor’s dinner party. We were offered champagne as we walked in and then had this scrumptious five course meal afterwards. I have almost forgotten how to carry an intelligent conversation after work. Of course the topic was all about the provision of good all around education to University students. The Vice Chancellor was in top form, funny and witty. My colleagues and I were all polite to each other and I actually enjoyed the evening with them. I mean I spend a lot of my time with the people there but last night we were all in our best behaviour and everyone scrubbed up so well!

My dress was the most talked about non-university topic. It was worth every penny and I felt so sexy and smart in it. I suppose that’s what a good dress is all about. I was so glad I veered away from the usual black item and bought something different.

The Vice Chancellor’s residence had a muted, understated elegance about it. Everything was just so even down to the name cards and my name was spelled right! The meal was as good as any five star hotel could offer. The chocolates were absolutely delectable. Too bad I couldn’t go beyond a couple of sips of champagne. I even took an antihistamine just in case. The last thing I wanted to happen was to come out in red blotches! The wine was flowing and the men were served brandy, women liqueurs after the meal. I daren’t touch the stuff.

All in all it was one event worth remembering. Everything went so well and no faux pas from anyone ie no one got drunk! I drove home close to midnight which was a real trial because the fog was thick and it was raining as well! I managed to get home safely in spite of driving in my stiletto heels--ouch! Yes, it was a night to remember for a long time. I was also called a glamour puss! Miao!

No comments: