Saturday, June 17, 2006

Oh what a lovely day!

Today is my 49th birthday and it is an absolute scorcher! They predicted 27 deg Celsius and it looks like they could be right. There is a gentle breeze blowing the little capiz chime I hanged on the window and it is creating such a relaxing sound that I feel like nodding off in front of this PC. Now, why am I up here when it is great outside? Simple, it is midday and it is too hot outside to do anything. Never underestimate the English sun! One of my staff suffered a heat stroke the other day—and she was from South Africa!
Yesterday turned out to be a very nice day in spite of its awful start. Very early in the day while I was driving to work my phone rang. I instantly had this sinking feeling in my stomach. I don’t know but I have very good instincts. Anyway, by the time I reversed to my allotted car space, I dreaded to listen to my voicemail. True enough it was a call from my sister informing me that our father is not well at all. I kept on telling myself to keep calm while walking to my office. I then texted my sister and she called me on my landline. She sounded tearful and under a lot of stress but she explained the situation very well. I really do not know how I kept my composure that morning.
However, half an hour later a colleague of mine came into my room and she instantly asked if I was okay. I must have looked like a zombie and then suddenly the tears fell. My boss also arrived and I told him. After talking to someone about my fears and worries, I managed to get back to work. Whenever I feel like that, I know that work always cures it. By the time I left at 4:00pm, I received several birthday cards and a huge begonia from my boss! Later on Peter and I had dinner at the Golf Club and Peter gave me my birthday present--something I really want, a Canon Powershot A640 digital camera! The day which began in disaster ended up beautifully. My colleagues at work are turning out to be good friends to me and I have a suspicion that they actually care.
Oh by the way, I share my birthday with a very famous person, none other than the Queen of England!

1 comment:

Sunshine said...

am glad you still had a lovely birthday regardless of the stress. :)