Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Sizzling time

We finally had the warmest and brilliant weekend of the year! It was positively sizzling—well almost! Nary a cloud in the sky and it was hot, hot, hot! But what do I do? I caught a nasty cold didn’t I? I didn’t want to lie in bed so I spent the weekend pottering about in my garden—pruning, clipping, watering and repotting. The heat didn’t help and by the end of each day I felt quite rough. Now I am not just bunged up but coughing as well…and the weather continues to improve.

This morning I woke up and as I drew my curtains I only saw this thick fog across the valley. It was thick enough for me to drive with full lights on but by the time I reach the A35 it somewhat dissipated. My office faces the morning sun and it can get pretty hot during the summer. Here in the UK, we hardly have any air-conditioning—just heaters so you can imagine how stuffy it could be. However, I have a really good electric fan and I am able to open a small window to let in the cool air. I also have my blinds down to keep the glare out of my monitor. There is hardly any humidity so I do not perspire as much as I would in the Philippines. The downside is my little Peugeot doesn’t have air-con so it feels like an oven when I drive home in the afternoon. Yesterday I had my sunroof open!

On Friday, my colleague and I went to the launch of a new restaurant in town called Wagamama—a fusion of Asian cuisine (Japanese and Chinese). It was absolutely fab and I do not remember having such a brilliant lunch for a long time! That night Peter barbecued some steaks and sausages for dinner. My in laws loved them and so did I but towards the night I felt like crashing. By that time my cold was taking hold.

It’s really funny because at the moment I could hear a bird singing right outside my office window. That’s quite regular thought because my building is surrounded by mature trees. I love this campus, the gardens are absolutely beautiful. It’s a pity I do not get to walk around it more often but I know I am lucky to work in a place like this. Speaking of work, I am pretty happy where I am and what I am doing. I have free rein to do what I think best for my team and my ideas hardly get knocked back. I also feel a lot settled although there are days when things do not seem go my way. What I do is to try to get my balance back and reassess the situation. I also noticed that I usually get what I want in the end. That’s why I have more “patience” now. The other thing I like is job satisfaction and the appreciation I get from my colleagues. My initial career path in communications has ended but I am using a lot of the skills I learned as a journalist/comms manager to cope with the intricacies of administration. I know I am good at setting up systems and procedures and I am ace as far as organisation is concerned. I like project management and multitasking. I like schedules and deadlines. What I hate is uncertainty and ad-hoc, knee-jerk reactions.

I had a chat with my boss yesterday and he said I will take over another unit in the organisation. They were impressed with the work I’ve been doing with my team and would like me to develop this underperforming part of the group. I like a challenge like this. I am also in charge of communications- electronic and otherwise- and I get to design a lot of information paraphernalia.

Recently I have been involved in organising the University’s Graduation Ball at Powderham Castle. It took a lot of organisation, talking to suppliers, making payments, insurance, liaising with caterers, marquee builders and entertainment, etc. We’re expecting 2000 people all told and it is an evening sit down dinner with fairground rides, bands, security etc. I am going to the ball this year as part of the organising team. Peter bought me a sleeveless gorgeous black chiffon gown embellished with a dark red rose in the middle of my bosoms and a delicately beaded dark red shawl to go with it. I feel good in it and I don’t look too bad either! At the rate I keep having to attend these events, I need to restock my glad rags.

I know I shouldn’t be counting but in three weeks’ time I will be off to the Isles of Scilly in Cornwall for a two week holiday. I shall miss my garden though…not to mention Sam who’s going to the kennels for the duration.

No comments: