Sunday, November 13, 2005

Autumnal thoughts

The other day my father in law treated us to a magnificent dinner at Coombe House. Let me describe the place or better still check it out http://www.thishotel.com/.
We arrived at 7:30pm and left the premises at 11:00pm! The food was excellent and the place was so posh. I half expected the likes of Mr Darcy (of Pride and Prejudice) come riding up the long driveway---or better still in his very wet suit (sigh).
It was a memorable meal and we enjoyed it immensely. Of course it cost a small fortune but Coombe House is a real treat.

I do like good food. At the moment I am slow cooking a beef casserole. I started cooking it before 11am and it is simmering downstairs in my slow cooker. We will be eating it tonight at 7:30pm. I make my beef casserole with red wine. I used Tempranillo, a Spanish wine, this time. I also used up my Italian mushrooms to add flavour to the casserole. I also added olives, bay leaf, garlic, shallots, peppers and tomatoes. I hope it tastes good.

It is that time of year when I start thinking of what to serve for Christmas. I am having my in laws over for Christmas dinner but the big party is on the 29th when we've invited all the Blackeby's to come over for a house warming. I am counting 15 people at least. What to feed them I wonder? Also I need to decorate the house with lots of fresh flowers. It's the clearing up later on that's going to kill me. Good think I have a dishwasher. It should be fun though.

I am nursing a sore neck and shoulders. I think it had something to do with too much PC time--like now! I think I should go downstairs and veg out.

No comments: