Monday, February 13, 2006

Getting ready for spring

Yesterday was Hubby’s birthday. He turned 61. We celebrated his birthday with his parents on Saturday. We had dinner in the golf club and I must say it was quite delicious. Hubby always orders half a roast duck. You need to order it 24 hours before. Fortunately, the other half was still available so I had it as well. I usually have lamb chops when I eat there. One thing they do very well in the club is vegetables. They serve us stacks and stacks of freshly cooked vegetables—broad beans, peas, broccoli, cauliflower cheese, roast potatoes, boiled new potatoes, herby potatoes, roast parsnips, carrots and cabbage. All this is accompanied with delicious gravy. It is a very English meal. We all enjoyed our meals and for dessert I halved with my father in law with a lemon sponge pudding with custard. I felt I was going to burst after the dinner!
Yesterday Hubby and I did some DIY (do-it yourself). I helped him install a small gate in our back garden to prevent Sam from wandering up there unsupervised. It was a really dinky picket fence gate complete with authentic latch. After he installed it we decided to paint it as well to preserve the wood. It looks really grand. I will take a photo of it. The beauty about it is it did not cost us a lot of money—only £10-12. We installed a lot of security measures to ensure Sam’s safety and our peace of mind. When we first moved in Hubby and I nailed in several metres of chicken wire on the back fence. Being in the country, the fences aren’t ones you find in the towns. These were proper cattle fence—Sam could easily go through the gaps. Not good because we back onto open fields and farmers do not like stray dogs hassling their cows or sheep. Besides I cannot bear the thought of losing Sam! It was so funny though because yesterday he was awake the whole day gallivanting around the no-go areas while we were busy installing the gate. Then we went to my in laws because Hubby had to fix their kitchen table. Hubby does all the DIY in his parents’ house. Sam went with us. Then when we got back home Hubby took him for walkies. When they came back I gave him a bath. After his bath he was running around the house as per usual. Then around 6.00pm he sat on my lap and promptly went to sleep. You could tell he was pooped because he was sleeping in an awkward position. Hubby and I had dinner shortly and Sam stayed in my chair in the sitting room absolutely knackered. He didn’t even look up when Hubby came in the room. He is really hilarious that way, just like a child.
I also did a bit of gardening yesterday morning with Sam scurrying around while I removed dead foliage from the flowerbed. It was cold but bearable. However, I think being outside the whole day is not really a good thing because you get quite cold without knowing it. I had to take a hot shower after painting the gate just to warm me up. I didn’t want to catch cold!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi!Happy Birthday to ur hubby! Haf a sweet time together!