Thursday, September 16, 2004

Heirlooms

A couple of years ago my husband bought me a special piece of furniture--a ladies writing bureau. The desk was made of teak, with a flap that opens outward serving as the writing table. This could be locked up for security. The writing side of the flap is covered in green leather with gold details to make writing easier. Inside the bureau are pigeonholes and small drawers. I absolutely love it. I have a fascination with boxes, mini drawers and secret compartments. They echo mystery and encourage imagination.

My jewellery box is somewhat similar. I found it in one of the shops in Singapore years ago. It is heavily coated in dark Chinese mahogany varnish which sets off the inlaid mother of pearl floral design. The box looks like a mini wardrobe with small but exquisitely crafted drawers, lined in red velvet. It has a lock as well.

I also have a “memory box”, more like a casement actually. It is actually part of an old printer’s drawer when typesetting for the letterpresses was in vogue. The box hangs along the front door hallway. I keep all my travel mementos inside the tiny spaces, like for instance a shell, a thimble, knick knacks, etc.

I am attracted to items like these. I suppose these could be considered “heirlooms” someday.

No comments: