Saturday, September 11, 2004

Things that make me

Sad. The slaughter of the innocents for one, mindless killing, thoughtlessness, cruelty, poverty...I could go on and on.
During my holidays the news broke out about the terrorist siege in Beslan, Russia. I mean this is no ordinary masked man toting a sub machine gun while grabbing the hair of a male hostage. No, this was more disturbing than that. These were women who took a whole school--children, teachers and parents-- hostage. What got me was the cruelty to the children, unspeakable cruelty. And if that was not enough, they blasted them to smithereens and shot the fleeing children like target practise. It was inhuman. These people lost their souls--if you believe in that.
It was depressing news and I wept when I saw the carnage on TV. I wouldn't think I'd be saying this but where is the world coming to? Isn't it enough that we have to contend with global warming and the prospect of an uncertain future? I sit here in my warm and cosy house safe in the knowledge that tomorrow will be the same. We'll be eating dinner at 7pm, next week I'll be back in my office and every Fridays I'll be filling my tank with petrol. No problem.
And yet I watch the six o'clock news with trepidation. Another hurricane, another terrorist bomb going off, another place flooded.
I should stop worrying and be thankful that I am spared the pain of these unfortunate people. I cannot help but think of them.

No comments: