Tuesday, September 14, 2004

I owe, I owe so

...off to work I go!
Today is my first day at work and I have just finished my first meeting of the week. Amazing how easy it is for the mind to get used to a relaxed way of life. I feel quite slow but I am sure I’ll be okay in the afternoon.
What can I say about my holidays in the Isles of Scilly? It was fabulous! Hubby and I explored the other islands (St Martins, Bryher, Tresco, St Agnes) and spent the days either lying in the beach or hiking around the main island of St Marys, which is the biggest and main island. The weather was brilliant. We only had one cloudy day of sea fret; it was a pea souper though. Anyway, it cleared up beautifully the following day. My in laws also enjoyed their time with us immensely. We played a card game called “crib” every night. It is an old British card game and Hubby and I won it hands down. My father in law rues the day he taught me the game.
I realise how lucky I am to be able to enjoy a fortnight of relaxation without having to worry about finances (well a bit) or safety. Scilly is vintage 1950s England. It is a small place and untouched by the pressures of the 21st century. There is clearly a laid back feeling about the place.
It was a bit sad that during our time there, the newspaper headlines screamed about the Beslan School massacre. It was depressing. I couldn’t help but think of these unfortunate people!
On the domestic side, Sam was very happy to see us and was a bit clingy at first. He didn’t do too well at the “summer camp” aka kennels this time. For one, he lost his voice due to overuse. All the other dogs around him were barking their heads off (Talk about loutish behaviour!) and I suppose he thought that was cool to do as well. He’s not used to it so he came home absolutely shattered. He also lost a bit of weight and his paws were sore from jumping up and down the concrete floors. He’s used to padding along carpet and grass. Poor Sam. At least he ate heartily when we fed him his favourite dish--chicken. We’ve been serving him pan-fried streaky pork, medium rare steak and roast chicken with biscuits. We have to make sure he’s okay because he’s off to his annual vet visit this month for his booster shots. I also had to give him a bath asap as soon as we got home because he hasn’t been bathed since we went away. Ughs! He smelled like er...like a dog. Hahaha! I suppose we want to make it up to him. I know, I know, it sounds silly but he is part of the family and he knows it too!
Anyway, things are back to normal. Hubby went back to work the following day we came back from holidays. The weather has not been great since then so the garden has to wait. I did some minor chores like light pruning and weeding but I need to do some autumn planting. We bought decorative grasses in the garden centre and they looked smashing in our backyard.
I watched the last night of the “Proms” on TV on Saturday. The Proms is held every summer where various orchestras perform at the Royal Albert Hall during the season. The finale is called the Last Night at the Proms, marking the end of summer. The whole nation takes part. There’s a broadcast link up with park celebrations in different parts of the country. The major one is held in Hyde Park, London and it culminates with a performance of the BBC Symphonic Orchestra at the Royal Albert Hall. It is a massive event and it feels like New Year’s Eve. People wave the Union Jack and St Georges Cross (England Flag), etc while singing to Elgar’s Rule Britannia, Land of Hope and Glory. It is inspirational! Maybe someday the Philippines will develop its own sense of culture. It is just nice to see people aware of their own identity. Maybe it takes a millennium for that!

No comments: