Thursday, October 21, 2004

Passive smoking and other vices

Last night there was a news item about the dangers of passive smoking. Well, we knew passive smoking has always been a health hazard but it is now proved beyond any shadow of a doubt that the risk of a passive smoker to heart and lung disease goes up to 25%. I personally would like to see a ban on smoking in public places. We already have non smoking in office buildings and in some restaurants/clubs but I would like to see this extended wider. I detest the smell of cigarettes. I cannot imagine why people choose to smoke. It’s like slow suicide! I value my health too much. I was after all a very sickly child—I still wonder how I survived my childhood.
I do have one vice though and that is coffee. I cannot resist fresh brewed coffee. I have a caffetiere in my office and the first thing I do in the morning is to boil water in the kettle, scoop three spoonfuls of Italian ground coffee in the caffetiere, add water …wait for it to brew and smell its delicious aroma, then pour in a bone china cup. It’s like a ritual to me. I absolutely love it BUT I limit myself to one cup of good coffee a day. I believe that having whatever you fancy in reasonable doses could only be good for you. I do not include taking banned substances, cigarettes or alcohol in this statement.
I am driving to work in the dark again. Today was especially difficult because it was raining as well. I couldn’t even see the lines on the road. Anyway, this weather makes me drive very slowly indeed.

No comments: