Tuesday, August 17, 2004

Under the English weather

17 August 2004
I cannot wait to go on holidays. I am counting the days now because I truly feel I need serious R&R.
I have been experiencing insomnia for a couple of nights and today I just feel under the weather. I’ve been taking paracetamol and Sudafed. I am definitely not 100%.
Last night we went to the seaside resort of Sidmouth with my in laws to see one of their old time friends. The couple were on holidays. Actually, the man was my father in law’s boyhood chum. They served in the RAF together during the war and remained firm friends. They also lived in the same county (Hertfordshire) where my father in law grew up. The woman, his wife, suffered a stroke 10 years ago and is on a wheelchair but she was quite lively. We had a good conversation and they reminisced old times. They even talked about my husband's childhood. Everybody remembers my hubby. From the sounds of it he was the “imp of darkness”, up to no good, real naughty sort of boy.
I felt like I was watching an old British movie again especially when my father in law brought out his old photograph album. These people in the old Brit movies actually existed! They were lovely people, didn’t really talk much about the war, just references to it and those who didn’t make it back home. My father in law was so happy when we took them home saying that at least his old friend saw his happy family. They still couldn’t believe that they would have this sort of companionship from us. Hubby really gets on superbly with them.
Last week was quite an international week for us cuisine-wise. On Thursday,hubby barbecued a couple of superb sirloin steaks for dinner. Friday we had Indian curry for our takeaway meal. Saturday, I prepared grilled fresh sardines followed by linguini marinara. Sunday, I cooked lumpiang Shanghai, special fried rice and stir fried veggies. I remarked to hubby that we have a fairly varied diet. I always take the leftover with me for my lunch. We have a microwave at work and I just reheat my lunch there. I got used to preparing my own lunch. I save money that way AND finish the leftovers!

1 comment:

Sunshine said...

i hope you're feeling much better. the weather has been indeed odd lately. however, it is, after all, the end of the summer. i guess autumn came in early.
it's been raining on and off here in manila as well. it rains (regardless of intensity) everyday.
have fun on your holidays!