Saturday, April 15, 2006

Easter fun


My old friend Chicoy and his family arrived at Musbury on Wednesday. It was a fraught time for me before their arrival because I was busy planting, cleaning the house and cooking in preparation for their visit.
Nothing could be more fraught than that morning before their arrival. We've been having problems with the sink in the kitchen. It wasn't draining very well and inspite of using a liquid de-clogger water wasn't draining as efficiently as possible. Anyway, we bought this industrial strength drain de-clogger on Tuesday but hubby forgot to do it overnight. When I woke up the following morning I found that the dishwasher hasn't drained properly as well. Disaster I thought! No amount of using the rubber plunger seem to shift the blockage! It was awful. Anyway, after half an our of absolute panic I went outside to check the drain and lo and behold it was overflowing! Aaaarrrggghhhsss! I donned my rubber gloves and braved the stink and goo from the drain. I had to physically remove dead leaves and some organic matter from the drain but I knew we had to pour the industrial strength de-clogger directly on to the drain! But that was no job for a woman. I draw the line on that! I checked the dishwasher but it was still filled with water. I thought that if the drain was cleared, I could turn on the machine and it would automatically drain itself. I asked hubby to do the man thing and pour the sulphuric acid down the drain. Suffice to say it worked like a charm! All that time the problem was outside and not inside the pipes. The dishwasher was fine after that.
A few minutes later I noticed a farmer in a tractor spreading liquid fertiliser on the field outside our backyard. Of all days! Then the dog decided to play with some of the muck I was clearing and I couldn't help thinking I still had to cook three main dishes tonight. Good thing hubby offered to go to the supermarket to get the food supplies while I get the house ready.

Finally, our guests arrived I was sooooo excited to see them. It was great to hear the familiar sound of the Manilena accent and pinoy jokes. For once we had a full house. Tata and Nana shared the king size water bed in the third room, Chicoy and Tere were in the Blue Room and Pepe slept in the single bed in the attic. Sam was ecstatic because the kids fussed and played with him.
I served adobo, pinakbet and embutido on our first night. It was such fun!!!!! The following day we all went to Dartmoor (famous Dartmoor Prison) then had a barbecue for dinner--steaks and sausages with potato salad, coleslaw and green leaf salad. Hubby, Chicoy and Pepe of course drank beer, then shared a bottle of red wine and graduating to whisky at midnight while watching DVDs of the Eagles, Bee Gees and Pink Floyd!


Yesterday we went for a walk to our local woodlands at the top of the hill. Then we had brunch of eggs and bacon, leftover adobo, pinakbet, embutido and rice. This was also accompanied with a lot of oatmeal bread and jam. Yummy!
What fun we all had!

No comments: