Saturday, April 29, 2006

Manic Saturday


I am on a three day weekend and started it with a very hectic morning. I was expecting guests for lunch today. That was okay but I also had to take my car to the garage in the village for service (I needed new brake discs and pads). I was fine about it, even took Sam with me for a bit of a walk on the way back home (and that was all uphill by the way)! When we got home I noticed an abundance of dandelions on the front lawn. I just couldn’t let my guests see that! No way! I went in the garage and retrieved my hand weeder. I then proceeded to extract the dandelions (roots and all) from the ground. It was not an easy job. In fact it was very hard because the ground was almost concrete! We hadn’t had rain for quite sometime. I must have been mad to do it. I tied Sam outside the front door so he could watch me dig out the weeds. Come to think of it I may be able to teach him to do something as useful as weeding. Perhaps not! Sam was quite perplexed at all the activity around him.
Anyway that took me over half an hour and I still had to make the potato salad from scratch. Then there was the window cleaning, put the roast chicken in the oven, then the quiche… and then prepare the green leaf salad as well. I was told that my car would be ready in an hour but it was almost 12 noon when I received a call from the garage…my car was ready and could I please pick it up? I was expecting my guests to arrive soon. I decided to make a dash for it. I left a post it note outside the front door just in case my friend arrived and no-one was home. Besides I could probably intercept them on the road. There's only one major road to the top of the village. I half walked, half ran to the garage. I paid the bill—and I tried to be so patient as the man in front of me at the till took his time paying. In no time I was back in the house…only just! Five minutes later my guests were at the front door. What a manic morning.
After they left I decided to take some photos of the garden and my favourite spot…the swing/hammock. I am still reeling from the exercise and activity from this morning. I feel absolutely knackered but I did it! I couldn’t believe that I cleared the front lawn of dandelions. I was meaning to do that for the longest time. I guess I am quite good at deadlines. Whew what a day. Now I must now join Sam and do some serious unwinding. Sam's completely wiped out. He hasn't had his morning snooze and he's looking quite fed up.

No comments: