Friday, April 21, 2006

Tractors and bird calls

Our hard work in the garden is paying dividends. Yesterday afternoon I managed to enjoy half an hour outside with Sam on the swing just listening to bird calls and watching a farmer in a tractor efficiently till the field right outside our back fence. I am slowly getting familiar about country ways and village life. The other day we needed some eggs but the shops were closed. I noticed a wooden box outside one of the farms and I told Hubby it could be a “store box” where you just leave money in a carton. Well it was more than that. The box contained very large fresh farm eggs, home made cakes and jams! Half a dozen eggs cost 70p. We bought a dozen. We have village fetes and flower festivals. One thing I like about living out here in the sticks is I really experience English life.
Sam and I like watching the farmer toil his land. I haven’t had the opportunity to ask him what he was going to plant. Last year it was corn and I was told the other year he planted flowers. I’d like that. Spring is late this year—I reckon a whole month late. My annual plants are just beginning to flower. However I will have a better garden this year because it has matured a bit. I am obsessive about plants. I check them everyday. Hubby says I am like a sergeant major inspecting the troops. I am rather worried about two plants I transplanted. One is an expensive clematis that is looking a bit sorry for itself and I cannot understand why and the other is a wallflower that is looking quite “stressed”. It is not the watering or the fertilising because both are in pots. I am keeping my fingers crossed! Maybe they just didn’t like being repotted. My orchids are doing especially well. One of them has been in bloom since November and because I have been feeding it with orchid fertiliser it started to bud again and the same with the others. I am so pleased. I told Hubby he should get me more since I have been successful with them. But I think they like the position (on my kitchen window facing east—morning sun). It’ll be nice to have an assortment of them in my kitchen though.

No comments: