Sunday, April 23, 2006

English landscapes



This must be one of my favourite photo in my collection. I took this over 10 years ago using my old SLR. I thought it was a photo I had to take because it exemplified England to me. I visited England in 1995 for the first time and in my eyes it was the most magical place that I have ever seen and it remained so until this very day. I love the way the weather challenges your instinct to survive. It is so like life--not every day that the sun shines. I learned a lot living here. I never get depressed about the weather. I grew up in a land where the sun shines most of the time but in exchange for its brilliance came the stifling heat. I do not like heat! Anyway, more about this photo...I love the "stillness" and the muted colours. I never got to meet the fisherman though. Also in the same visit I was fascinated by the green pastures and the "contented cows" so there I was just like a tourist taking photos of the cows! I loved every moment of it that I vowed to live here!
The next photo was taken in 1999. I was in Salisbury covering a story. I had lunch in this pub overlooking the river with the cathedral for a backdrop. I thought it was quintessential English as well. I thought of posting these photos one by one because scanning them take a long time!
Now I am busy taking photos of my backyard, house and garden. I just wish we had digital cameras when I was growing up because there were a lot of photo opportunities that are now just locked in my memory. I envy these young people now because they can commit their collective memories into electronic diaries like this blog for instance. Anyway, at least I can record moments of my life.
It's really quite amusing that some people make fun of bloggers like me. I mean who really cares what I think right? Who cares what happens to my life? It is not exciting as I am not a jetsetter and certainly it is not dramatic like some soap opera BUT I think there is something to be said about life quite ordinary. I think so anyway.

No comments: