Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Christmas shopping panic


Hubby and I accompanied his parents to Exeter for a shopping trip. It was quite exhausting because they are very fussy about clothes. I walked around the shops including Marks and Spencer with my mother in law but she didn’t find any article of clothing she really fancied. We were at Exeter for five hours! At least we had a nice lunch at the Ship Inn. I like that pub, it serves good food. We left Exeter around 4.00pm. It was almost dark by then but we managed to show them the University grounds. I am quite proud of the campus. It is absolutely beautiful. They actually won awards for the gardens. Anyway, the trip exhausted me. Don’t get me wrong, I love shopping, I find it therapeutic. But looking after someone who does not like anything on offer is exhausting! There were moments when I felt utter frustration welling up. In the finish I advised them to check out the local shops near Axminster. They would cater to older people’s style.

Will I be the same when I reach their age? Will I be as fussy? I was thinking maybe by then I’ll be sitting in my veranda in the Philippines and shopping for clothes wouldn’t be as difficult. I vowed to be more involved with life. I would hate to be bored. For me retirement means doing the things I never had any time for. I’d be pursuing my interests (gardening, cooking, volunteering, etc) instead of worrying about line management and Monday mornings!

Whenever I start feeling down I think of my house. I do like my new house. It is not palatial or anything like that but I like the layout a lot. When I am in my sitting room (lounge) I look around and I say to myself, yes, I like this room. I cannot think of one area that I do not like. I am aware that I shouldn’t be too attached to material things but I am making an exception on this one.

Maybe I should be more detached, be more Zen like.

Okay moving on. I have ordered the organic turkey, top side beef, sausage meat (for stuffing), bacon rashers and pork loin for the Christmas festivities. I will be feeding a lot of people during the Christmas break and I need to stock up. My oven will be on double speed--I am psyching myself for the marathon cooking.

I will bake a couple of orange cakes instead of the heavy fruit cakes this weekend. Come to think of it I have to decorate the house this weekend too! Time is slowly ticking away and I haven’t even finished my Christmas shopping!

At the moment I seem to be sleep deprived. I think it has to do with the fact that I hardly see daylight. I leave my house in total darkness and I arrive in total darkness. That’s winter for you. Unfortunately, my internal alarm clock seems to go off at 4.30am! I do not need an alarm clock, never did because I always wake up before the alarm goes off. What I’d give for a really good sleep.

No comments: