Monday, December 19, 2005

Decisions, decisions



I can’t figure out this weather we’re having! Yesterday it was freezing, icy conditions. Today it is mild and we’re awash in brilliant sunshine. How I wish I was out there instead of working away in the office. I am having second thoughts about the chicken galantine. Maybe if I serve poached salmon, it would make a difference from the turkey and meat being served at Christmas. What to do, what to do…
The problem with salmon is I haven’t done it before but I could get a recipe. I do not have a fish kettle but perhaps we could find one before the 29th! I am sure there are lots in the kitchen shops in Sidmouth, Axminster or even Exeter. Maybe I should do a spot of shopping this lunch time.

***
Wouldn’t it be nice if there was a way to “defrag” your brain like you would with PCs? I’ve been thinking about this because I have lots of trivial information stored in my brain occupying a lot of memory space. I could use that space for say number crunching or analysing. Take for instance the other day, my father in law casually asked where Santa Claus came from and like the idiot that I am I explained to him that Santa Claus was “an evolutionary creation, brought about by the fusion of two religious personages (St. Nicholas and Christkindlein, the Christ child) to become a fixed image which is now the paramount symbol of the secular Christmas celebration”. Later on the Coca Cola advertisements created the image of the current Santa. St Nicholas was actually from Turkey—long story but nevertheless this kind of useless information should be stored somewhere else in my brain.
I remember too many things and some of them I’d rather relegate to the dustbins of history. Why do I greedily hang on to information? Maybe I am a closet anorak. I wonder if I my personality will be different if I lost all my memory. Will I love the same people? Will I despise the same people? Will I be me? I read in one of my weekend mags about a Japanese inventor putting together the final touches of a life-like robot.

I mean this humanoid looks and speaks like a human being--complete with facial expressions and eye contact. He said that in a recent World exhibition, he had the robot man the reception booth and 77% of people didn’t even notice that “she” was a robot! Can you beat that? I find that very interesting--but rather spooky. The theory is people develop an emotional relationship with robots that look human. I find R2D2 and C3PO rather cute. But I’d ditch them for a robot that looks like Harrison Ford!

No comments: