Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Eventful week--so far

What an eventful week. It’s only Wednesday but a lot happened since the start of the week. Of course the high point was getting a good result from my dissertation but it was followed by an even better event. I have renewed an old acquaintance. It all started from an email. I recognised the name immediately but the last time I saw Lenna we were both in University. I found out that she’s been living in the UK for over 20 years. That was very exciting news for me. Finally I know someone here in the UK who shares a bit of my history! The initial email exchanges were tentative then I took the plunge, asked for her phone number and called her. Things just fell into place and last night we had a very long telephone conversation. I do not recall ever using our phone that long in one go--ever. Well she agreed to visit me in Musbury in a couple of weeks. I am really overjoyed to pick up where we left off in the 70s. I cannot wait to see her.
This was coupled by another event. My sister Rosa celebrated her 40th birthday yesterday (I hope you had a good one Rosa!) and before the day was over my niece Cheryll gave birth to a bouncing baby boy! An Aquarian born in the year of the rooster--not bad.
Yesterday I also managed to do two assessments of my staff. I was shattered by the end of the day. I had to focus and concentrate on their issues, concerns, etc and at the same time ensure that I have a plan for their personal development. As I said before and I’ll say it again, managing people is a real challenge because it requires a lot of effort and care from the manager (that is if you want to be effective). It also requires a lot of patience from me--something that does not come naturally. I have to work at it but I guess in the end it will make me a better person, eh? I cannot wait to have this week over. Then I would have done all the assessments in my team and all I have to do is to write the reports. That is the easy part.
Let’s see what the rest of the week has to offer. I am having my own assessment today but I am quietly confident I will sail through. I haven’t been sleeping well though. Too many dreams and I just cannot relax! Even my dreams are stressful, like taking exams--a recurring dream for me. I need to relax more.
Hubby had his stitches taken off yesterday and he looks a bit “rakish” a la Harrison Ford. Ha! He heals so well though and in time the scars disappear. I am glad that the doctors spot these basal cell carcinomas early. Thank goodness for the NHS!

No comments: