Saturday, January 07, 2006

Home administration

I decided to update our household filing today. I was under the impression that we had to keep about five years’ of bills and bank statements (just in case) but yesterday I asked our finance department and I was assured that for home use, one year is enough. Hubby and I are not self employed and we do not certify our own tax returns so we’re pretty much in the clear. So today I checked out all the drawers and filing cabinets and filed the necessary documents like current bank statements, credit card statement, mortgage statements, pensions and insurance (house and cars). Everything after 2005 I am shredding or burning tonight. Call me paranoid but I am particular how we dispose sensitive information (eg name, addresses, bank statements, etc). I also want to have all our important documents in order. I like to be organised that way.

However, before I did all that I decided to call my best friend in Manila and we chatted for almost an hour! It’s a good thing I have this pre-paid card—a lot cheaper than BT! I do miss her but every time we talk it feels as if we just saw each other yesterday. We tell each other everything and I am completely at ease with her. I mean we’ve been friends for over 40 years! No-one knows me better than she does. When I reminded her that I’ve been away for 15 years she couldn’t believe it. A lot of things happened since then.

There is a chance that my mother might be able to visit me this summer. I try not to be too excited about it because I do hate getting disappointed. I just wish my best friend and my sister Rosa would be able to visit me too. I will be a very happy person indeed then. If only they could offer me a couple of weeks of their lives to see what I’ve done to my life, I would be extremely happy. It’s a long shot though but who knows?

I didn’t feel too good this morning. I had a touch of asthma. I am okay now. I took some cough medication (I am trying to shift this pesky cough) and a healthy dose of my inhaler. Hubby took pity on me and volunteered to do the weekly shopping in Tesco. I was extremely grateful. I couldn’t face doing the supermarket shopping today but I need some things for my cooking.

Yesterday my friend Jane and I went to town (Exeter) during our lunch hour and believe it or not I picked up another bargain from Marks and Spencer. I found the trousers that matched my navy jacket for half price! I also found another jacket for £13—70% off. I am loving it. That reminds me I must alter my other trousers. I have lost so much weight my trousers feel too loose on the waist. I am between a UK size 8-10. A size 10 petite fits fine though.

Tomorrow I might go with my in laws to our local garden centre. This garden centre is unlike no other. I might just get a nice orchid to match the other orchids in my kitchen. My mother will be impressed! I know I have to wash my car but it is bloody freezing outside! Too many things to do at home.

No comments: