Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Retail therapy


If there was one store on earth that I could really say I have a “relationship” with, I would say it was Marks and Spencer. There are other stores vying for my hard earned money but I cannot walk into M&S without buying anything. If I do not find anything in clothing, I know I can nip downstairs to the food hall and come out with some scrumptious food!
Yesterday hubby and I went to Exeter to check out the sales. I bought a few items in Debenhams (not a bad shop), checked out Clarks for boots (didn’t find anything exciting) and eventually ended up outside M&S to meet hubby. As soon as we entered the store I saw rows upon rows of “further sale items-more than 50% off”. Hey I am only human! Hubby found a real bargain in a grey pin striped suit (matching jacket and trousers) and a pair of black cashmere trousers. I got myself a navy suit jacket with lovely stitching on the lapels and a nice blouse all more than 50% off. What a bargain!
I love shopping. It is one activity that offers me stimulation and exercise. I can walk for miles looking at “stuff”. I remembered when I was about 10 years old my best friend and I would take a cab from our house in Makati to spend the afternoon in the shopping centre (Quad and Bricktown). That was ages before they developed the place into Glorietta and Greenbelt. At that time in the late 60s and early 70s, Shoemart was just a shoe store. I loved it and I remembered scrapping money from my meagre allowance to buy shoes. I particularly remembered my first pair of “ladies” shoes—white sling backs. They easily got dirty of course. We also frequented Rizal theatre and Quad cinemas. My best friend and I were ahead of our time in terms of shopping. We used to go to this little shop in Bricktown called Funhouse. We’d buy stupid things like joke cards and silly gadgets. We had so much fun really—and of course we’d spend a lot of time in National Bookstore perusing the latest novels. As the shopping centre grew, our tastes grew with it. Rustans, the shop for posh people introduced me to M&S underwear (St Michaels). I was hooked. So when I came to the UK the first shop I visited was Marks and Spencer. I just love the shop!
Now whenever I am in Manila I still visit Makati shopping centre. I cannot believe the size of Shoemart or SM Megamalls as they are known now. I approve of the redevelopment of SM in Makati. Very nice indeed. I miss that kind of shopping, just watching people go by and buying the odd item or two. One thing for sure whenever I feel depressed, the best way to get me back on my feet (literally) is to do some retail therapy. The problem is I need to work hard in order to indulge myself to this instant “happiness” hit. Oh well, one has to have a vice and as I do not drink, smoke or party I shop.

No comments: