Sunday, January 01, 2006

Happy New Year!


Happy New Year from the Blackebys!
Is it just me or the years go ever so fast as you grow older? I cannot believe that it is now 2006! I haven't even come to grips with 2005! Exactly fifteen years ago I was about to board a plane to Sydney in search of a new life. I remembered looking out of my plane window and memorising the brilliant Philippine sunset and weeping. I guess that was one of the most traumatic event in my life. I couldn't say that I liked Sydney. In fact I found it too quiet and mighty boring compared to Manila. For me Manila was a bustling city. I supposed I never really felt at home in Australia. One thing for sure I looked forward to leaving it! Exactly seven years ago I boarded a flight to London with my English husband to start a new life in England. This time I looked forward to it. I love the UK. I instantly felt "at home" here. I like the people and I love the countryside. It is not like anything I've seen before--and it is so rich in history and culture!
We have done a lot of things in those seven years. Hubby and I grew closer too. We were also lucky enough to find Sam, our Jack Russell terrier. All in all we found our bit of paradise and we are very happy. I never thought I could find happiness. I've always said it is very elusive--I still think it is. I suppose we have found contentment. When people are content on what they have, then there is no room for bitterness, envy or hatred. That's what we have. I have long forgiven the people who did me wrong and tackled the issues in my life that prevented me from finding true contentment. I still hanker for my perfect pinoy house in the Philippines and all that but it does not stop me from enjoying my life as it is for the moment. Although I never had children--one major issue I had to resolve-- I find it is no longer my one regret in life. It doesn't matter anymore. I have loads of nieces and nephews to lavish my love and attention anyway. I also managed to be in touch with the people I truly love like my younger sister, my parents, niece and nephews, friends and of course my hubby...yes I am fortunate to have them around me. I always think that if I die tomorrow I know I leave no regrets. I lived my life as I saw fit and made the best of what fate dealt me. It took me a long time to get to where I am now.
I have no New Year's resolution. I am just looking forward to what life has to offer--quite exciting because spring is just around the corner...am I optimistic or what?
By the way, here's a photo of my friends on New Year's Eve. We really had a good time yesterday and Jane (one in red) stayed overnight. It is great to have friends and loved ones around you this time of year.

No comments: